Grass Valley Animal Control offers introductory answers to frequently asked questions regarding lost animals, licensing your animal, and services. Click on a subject heading below to view questions and answers relating to your selection. Links throughout the answers will guide you to further information on our website or from other sources. Should you have any further questions, please consult our Contact Us page.

What should I do if I lose my pet?

Answer: If you lose your pet in the city of Grass Valley/Nevada City, call Grass Valley Animal Control and file a “lost pet” report. Check the house, closets, basement, garage, sheds, open vehicles, etc., and check with your neighbors. Call the KNCO radio station in Grass Valley and ask that your pet be put on “pet patrol”. This is a wonderful community service that they provide. Put an ad in the lost/found section of the local newspapers. Be sure and give an accurate description of your animal. If you have a good picture of your pet, make flyers and post them with permission on local bulletin boards, in pet stores, veterinary clinics, etc. Be sure and ask first. Go to the animal shelter at least every couple of days and actively look for your pet in person. Remember that Nevada County also has an animal shelter.